An honor roll sign is mounted on the side of the old Rialto Theatre building on Wenatchee Avenue to include names of businesses with 100 percent employee participation in the United Good Neighbors drive in the fall of 1958.
Downtown Wenatchee appeared to be decked out in style as the Christmas season was approaching. This photo, believed to have been taken around 1925, shows Wenatchee Avenue looking north from Kittitas Street with garland greenery spanning the street. (Business World file photo)
Wenatchee Valley Business World begins its 30 Under 35 program in 2011 to honor young “rising stars” in North Central Washington, who show dedication and innovation on the job, display leadership skills or demonstrate remarkable people skills.
An open house on Aug. 12, 1962, celebrates the 30th anniversary of the opening of Highline Sanitarium in East Wenatchee. Julia Brenner, R.N., owner and supervisor at Highline, relaxes in a secluded corner on the grounds. The multi-winged institution started in 1932 with four patients in a family house on Highline Drive. The facility expanded to accommodate 79 patients by 1962. (Business World file photo)
Speakers at the dedication ceremonies for the new Washington State University Tree Fruit Experiment Station await the start of the event on Nov. 1, 1967. They are, from left, Ross Heminger; WSU Regent Lyle Neff; WSU President Glenn Terrell; Mrs. Carl Haugland, daughter of the late Fred L. Overley for whom the new lab is named; State Agriculture Director Donald Moos; WSU Dean Louis Madsen; Leo Lowe, Washington Growers Clearing House Association manager; Dr. John Robins, WSU research director; and Dr. Robert Lindner, research center superintendent.
A $150,000 remodeling of Manasco’s Restaurant, located in the Professional Centre Building at 25 S. Wenatchee Ave., is completed in early 1968. The new entrance features a white brick front, trimmed in dark cedar with large amber sconce-type lights. The interior of the longtime local restaurant was stripped bare to the walls and redecorated in a “slightly colonial” style. The coffee shop, Cloud Room cocktail lounge and dining room were capable of serving about 200 people. The project, started in the fall of 1967, was financed by Wenatchee Builders, Inc. ...
In 1915, the John A. Gellatly residence (at right) along Okanogan Avenue was acquired by the Methodist Episcopal Church and became the first Deaconess Hospital. A 50-bed, three-story addition was dedicated in 1923 and the former Gellatly residence became a nurses' home and training school. Additional wings were added in 1948 and 1963. The hospital closed in 1978 with the staff moving into a new facility on Red Apple Road named Rosewood Hospital. It was later renamed Central Washington Hospital and would eventually become part of Confluence Health. (Business World ...
The delivery truck in this 1930 photo is one of three the Union Safe-Way store used to deliver groceries and meats free of charge to customers, from Palisades to Chelan Falls. James Carmody, standing by the truck, established the South Wenatchee Avenue business in 1929. Carmody's sons, Monroe and Sterling, closed the store in July of 1976. (Business World file photo)
This 1911 photo shows Mission Street in Wenatchee, looking south. A horse-drawn wagon is parked on the east side near the entrance of the old World Building while across the street an automobile is parked in front the Commercial Club. The Daily World and post office were housed in the World Building with the upper floor occupied by Hotel Del Mundo. Next door was the Harlin Building, on the corner of Mission and Orondo. (Business World file photo)
Fruit Growers Service is the third Wenatchee packing plant to go “automatic” with its cherry packing operations in June of 1960. Fruit arriving at the plant that season moved through a blower, a cluster-cutter, across sorting belts, then up and over the sizer. From there, the cherries dropped onto belts according to their size. For FGS, the “cherry machine” was especially valuable because of limited space in their building. Wenatchee Wenoka and Ninth Street Skookum previously began using the automatic sorting and sizing process. (Business World file photo)
An expanding Welch Apple Co. purchases the Wenatchee Wenoka Growers Association plant on Columbia Street in June of 1960. Principals involved, from left, are Ted Zacher, manager of Wenoka; James Welch Jr., president of Welch’s; and Ron Skagen, manager of Welch’s. At the time, Welch had been occupying a building fronting on South Wenatchee Avenue on the same block. Wenoka also announced it would build another cold storage plant at its existing North Miller Street location to have all of its operations at one place.
MISSION RIDGE MILESTONE: This month marks the 50th anniversary of the opening of the Mission Ridge Ski Area. A photograph of Wilmer Hampton, who worked for seven years toward the establishment of the ski area, is presented to Mission Ridge President Don Kirby, right, by Walt Hampton during the Mission Ridge dedication ceremonies on Dec. 11, 1966. Wilmer Hampton, the area’s first manager, died earlier in the year. The photograph was placed in the lodge, which was named in his memory. (Business World file photo)
Immediate construction of a $900,000 store building near Valley North Shopping Center to accommodate a Kmart department and garden store is in the works following approval by the Wenatchee Planning Commission on Oct. 18, 1972. Bob West, principal partner in Rainier Development Co. of Yakima, explains the project to city officials. The ambitious plan would help add to Wenatchee’s reputation as “the principal shopping city for North Central Washington.” (Business World file photo)
This photo was taken soon after the Mooney building was erected in 1906 on North Wenatchee Avenue, between Palouse and First Streets. It housed the Wenatchee Furniture Co. A physician, D. W. King, and the Western Conservatory of Music also had offices on the upper floor. (Business World file photo)